Living Together Agreement Nz

If your partner is already in New Zealand or if you and your partner apply for a visa to come together to New Zealand, you can get a visa based on your partnership. In fact, couples who entered into “closing” agreements before February 1, 2002 in anticipation of the law coming into force on that date had to comply with the specific rules of procedure if they agreed on or after August 1, 2001. Otherwise, the agreement they have reached is null and void. If you lived as a de facto couple before your marriage or civil union, this period is treated as if it were part of the marriage or community of life. If you need additional help to reach an agreement on a family dispute (day care, care and contact) you have a service called Family Dispute Resolution (FDR). FDR is a process in which an independent certified person (known as the FDR supplier) will work with the parties to identify the issues, discuss their issues constructively and try to reach an agreement. The FDR provider focuses on helping to reach agreements that are best for the child. You can touch other family members, such as the . B, grandparents, or Wh`nau. A separation agreement is the best option for most people who have children or property together. You can conclude the agreement yourself, in writing or orally (it must be written if you share information about this from you). It must contain the date you separated.

The agreement can be expressed to apply while both parties are alive, or if one of them dies, or in both situations. In deciding whether the agreement would cause serious injustice, the court finds that if a de facto relationship (including the same sex) that lasted more than three years ends, the ownership of the relationship is split under the Property (Relationships) Act, unless you have another agreement. This applies to relationships that began before the law came into force (February 1, 2002) and may apply if a relationship ends in both death and separation. The general principle is that all relational assets and debts are distributed equitably, although there may be exceptions and some properties may remain separate. However, the home in which you both lived is considered a relational property that must be shared in the same way, with exceptions, even if a person owned it before the relationship began. You will find more information in our brochure “Sharing Relational Property” and receive legal advice, as this is a complex legal area. After February 2002, the position of couples wishing to regroup under the distribution rules remained virtually unchanged.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.